Gledhow Hall is the focal point of the conservation area. The Gledhow name seems to be linked with gled (or kite) and how (hill). We are now fortunate that red kites are once again seen in the area.
John Thwaites built the first Gledhow Hall c1601and his son, John, was Alderman of Leeds in 1653.
In 1768 Jeremiah Dixon re-modelled the Hall (attributed to architect, John Carr) and the bridge over Gledhow Lane was built to provide access to the farm and pleasure gardens. There, fruit trees flourished and vines and peaches were grown in the glasshouses.
Gledhow Hall continued to be home to many important families, notably the Becketts, Benyons, Coopers and the Kitsons. Twelve servants were often employed to run the household. Sir James Kitson, the first Lord Mayor of Leeds, died in 1911 and the Estate was left in trust to his sons. At the start of the First World War, the Hall became a Military Hospital. The house has now been converted into flats.